… is a French (European) folk dance club. Think of it like a friendly ceilidh with a French twist.
Beginners and visitors are always very welcome. We’ll show you the easy steps so you can join in right away. No partner necessary, but better to bring them than leave them at home You can also come just to listen to the great live music.
We dance several types of dances from different regions of France:
- The Bourrée comes from central France and is danced facing a partner in lines or set formations. There are specific styles of bourrée from Berry, Bourbonnais, Nivernais, Morvan, Auvergne, Correze and Gascony, with one or two local styles of bourrée elsewhere.
- The Schottische, Mazurka, Polka and Valse are popular couple dances danced all over France.
- Breton dances such as Gavotte des Montagnes, An Dro, Hanter Dro, Dans Plinn and Suite de Loudéac are danced in long snaking lines which intermingle and diverge.
- Gascon dances such as rondeaux and congos. And, from a little way north of Gascony, the Ronde de Quercy.
- Dances from Béarn and Pays Basque (in the Pyrenées Atlantique) such as the sauts, e.g. Sept sauts, La Craba, Dus. Danced singly in a circle,with springy steps, but still very much a communal dance.
Musicians – develop your repertoire and technique for dance-related music in an informal setting: contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
We meet monthly normally on the 2nd Friday of the month. Dancing starts at 7:30pm.There is no bar so please BYO booze.
- Summer break: No meetings July and August
Friday 9th September 2016
- Friday 16th September – with The Savage Prunes
- Friday 14th October – with Jean-Pierre Champeval and Olivier Durif
- Friday 11th November – Duo Mistral and Trio Violoneux de JPC-OD
- Friday 9th December – Christmas Party, with Les Vieux Schnocks, the Les Batons house band, with old friends Roly on hurdy gurdy, concertina and songs from Les Iles normandes, and Graham, with one of the only two Champeval violins in England; yours truly (Chris Shaw) has the other so they’ll both be there. Bring festive snacks and drink to share. I am making a Christmas cake and a number of Armagdos mine pies, or Calvagnac if you prefer And mulled wine. Yer mat! Félicitations!
- Friday 13th January – The Hurdy Gurdy Brothers: Sam Palmer (ex-Blowzabella) and Ray Attfield (ex-St George’s Canzona and Noise of Minstrels); and other On Bouge regular musicians Chris & Caroline Shaw and Whispering John Offord.
- Friday 10th February -
- Friday 10th March -
- Friday 14th April – Good Friday: No club night.
- Friday 12th May -
- Friday 9th June -
- July/August: CLOSED. We’re off to French festivals, such as Gennetines, the 24/7 dancing fortnight.
- See you in September
Primrose Hill Community Centre
29 Hopkinson’s Place (off Fitzroy Rd)
London NW1 8TN
Nearest tube Chalk Farm or Camden Town
Entry: £9 (£7 concs)
For more information, and to join the email list, please email us on email@example.com