… is a French (European) folk dance club. Think of it like a friendly ceilidh with a French twist.
Beginners and visitors are always very welcome. We’ll show you the easy steps so you can join in right away. No partner necessary, but better to bring them than leave them at home You can also come just to listen to the great live music.
We dance several types of dances from different regions of France:
- The Bourrée comes from central France and is danced facing a partner in lines or set formations. There are specific styles of bourrée from Berry, Bourbonnais, Nivernais, Morvan, Auvergne, Correze and Gascony, with one or two local styles of bourrée elsewhere.
- The Schottische, Mazurka, Polka and Valse are popular couple dances danced all over France.
- Breton dances such as Gavotte des Montagnes, An Dro, Hanter Dro, Dans Plinn and Suite de Loudéac are danced in long snaking lines which intermingle and diverge.
- Gascon dances such as rondeaux and congos. And, from a little way north of Gascony, the Ronde de Quercy.
- Dances from Béarn and Pays Basque (in the Pyrenées Atlantique) such as the sauts, e.g. Sept sauts, La Craba, Dus. Danced singly in a circle,with springy steps, but still very much a communal dance.
Musicians – develop your repertoire and technique for dance-related music in an informal setting: contact email@example.com for more info.
We meet monthly normally on the 2nd Friday of the month. Dancing starts at 7:30pm.There is no bar so please BYO booze.
- Friday 13th January – The Hurdy Gurdy Brothers: Sam Palmer (ex-Blowzabella) and Ray Attfield (ex-St George’s Canzona and Noise of Minstrels); and other On Bouge regular musicians Chris & Caroline Shaw and Whispering John Offord.
- Friday 10th February – GIG CB! Bal Folk
- Friday 10th March (moved back a week so we could book Dani!)
- Friday 17th March – Dani Detammaecker (aka Dani PadPé)
- Friday 14th April – Good Friday: No club night (but watch this space!).
- Friday 12th May -
- Friday 9th June -
- July/August: CLOSED. We’re off to French festivals, such as Gennetines, the 24/7 dancing fortnight.
- See you in September
Primrose Hill Community Centre
29 Hopkinson’s Place (off Fitzroy Rd)
London NW1 8TN
Nearest tube Chalk Farm or Camden Town
Entry: £9 (£7 concs)
Please BYO booze